Day 6: Internship at Taipei Animal Shelter

Our internship officially started today, the past two days were just pre-internship. We will have a full-day course at Taipei Animal Shelter from 10.00am to 4.00pm. And I learnt from Jovian that another two interns will arrive at Taipei tonight, a Mexican and a Russian. Yeah~ I’m meeting new friends again!

Guess what we had at the start of the day?

Homemade muffins made by Mrs Liu aka Cindy, pineapple, onion chicken with porridge and milk. Did you notice there are postcards on the table? Cindy gave us a few postcards from France. Maybe I’ll post it back to Malaysia. I want to keep Taiwanese stamps.
Onion chicken with porridge.
And this is the Liu Family at the dining. Mr and Mrs Liu are fantastic cooks. Madam Liu said that Mr Liu had won a cooking competition and he’ll be opening his new restaurant at Donghu at the end of July. We’re so lucky to stay in the home of good cooks.

Martina showed me a postcard of Prague. It’s a beautiful place. Prague is one of my must-go destination. Let me save enough money first. Praha is Prague in Czech. I’m learning Czech from Martina, it’s very difficult to read, but interesting.

I was the first intern arrived at Taipei Animal Shelter, at around 9.30am. Candy sent me there by scooter, it was my second time riding scooter at Taiwan. I was quite nervous. My head is too small to fit the helmet and it kept falling backwards. When I reached the shelter, the helmet was no longer on my head, but instead, it’s hanging on my neck.



This was the room where we had our lecture. And the staffs sitting at the side of the room are hotline customer service officers for animal rescue.
There were some leaflet and booklets on the shelf.

Some of the prizes the shelter achieved after some years of hard works and contributions for the animal welfare and protection.

This is my first non-human friend at the shelter, Kopi. She’s very cute and obedient. I told her to sit, and she really sat down. Love her.
Arkka, our new friend from Indonesia. He has two dogs at home.
Prof Andrew gave us a lecture on concepts of animal rights, animal protection, animal welfare and also history of animal welfare. He is a member of WSPA and PETA, one of the animal right activist.

We watched Earthlings video about animal abuse and some scenes are really terrifying, but that’s the reality, many people are ignorant on the topic of animal welfare, and some people are inhumane and cruel. I’ve never seen how a slaughter house operates, and from the video, I realized what is really happening out there in slaughter houses. I couldn’t believe how could people be so cold-blooded and cause such suffering to sentient living organisms. I believe God created every living things not for fun, and they have their own value, and should be respected, not exploited. Never those people ever thought of how would they feel if they’re treated exactly like how they treat those animals? They’re totally insane. Human torture and kill animals for entertainment, for own pleasure, we are really selfish, that is so meaningless. I never thought that circus and zoo are part of animal abuse, not until I watched the video. Human could do anything, without morality, just to fulfill their desire or to take the most advantage from animals that are too weak to stand for themselves.

Human thinks that animals should not be treated equally as human because they do not have the ability to reason and they do not even have language. But I certainly do not agree with it. Probably animals have their own language, they can communicate among their species, but we human are too stupid to understand their language, but instead animals could understand our commands. So what do you think? Animal or human is smarter?

For the weak ones, we shouldn’t bully them, instead we need to help them. We are gifted the ability to think, so we shouldn’t take it for granted, we should know what is right and wrong. We need to lend a helping hand to those unfortunate animals that are not as lucky as human. Every living things on earth are inter-dependent, this is how the ecosystem works. We do not have the right to take advantage over them or take their lives.

We were just told to slowly cut down our intake of meat, and avoid necessary pain to animals, by gradually become vegetarians. However, this is what we had for lunch. It seemed like the lunchbox contradicts our topic of the day. It’s a pretty big serving of roast chicken, bean curd, and vegetable. The chicken tastes great but I couldn’t force my stomach to take in more food. I wasted my food even though I didn’t want to.

These are the animal rescue vans.

After the course ended, we went to Long Shan Temple. And again, we ended our day having dinner at Long Shan Night Market.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 shoutout(s)!: